Monday, January 9, 2012

Review - Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher



Clay Jensen returns home from school to find a mysterious box with his name on it lying on his porch. Inside he discovers cassette tapes recorded by Hannah Baker—his classmate and crush—who committed suicide two weeks earlier.

On tape, Hannah explains that there are thirteen reasons why she decided to end her life. Clay is one of them. If he listens, he’ll find out how he made the list.

Through Hannah and Clay’s dual narratives, debut author Jay Asher weaves an intricate and heartrending story of confusion and desperation that will deeply affect teen readers.

Thirteen Reasons Why by Jay Asher is probably one of the saddest books I have ever read. That being said, once I started it I couldn't put it down.

Like Clay, I found myself unable to stop "listening" to the tapes. Wanting to know what Hannah's reasons were. Where Clay fit in. How it all went together.

It was heartbreaking. To hear all the horrible things that happened to Hannah. The "snowball" effect. I kept reading, hoping she'd change her mind. Only to remember that the whole reason Clay is listening to them is because... she didn't.

I wasn't sure I'd be able to make it all the way through this book... because the story kind of hits close to home. But like I said, I couldn't put it down. I read it in a few hours in the middle of the night, even though I had to wake up at 4am. It was definitely written to be a page turner.

Clay was the perfect person to follow as he listened to these tapes. I can't imagine having heard Hannah's story through anyone else. He has this enormous heart and it tears you apart to watch it shatter to pieces as he listens to Hannah's final words.
Hannah is this beautiful, crushed soul, just looking for ONE PERSON to reach out to her and show her she's not alone. But the one person who wants to, she pushes away. By the time he knows how desperately she needed him, regardless of her actions toward him, it's too late. And one of the WORST feelings in the world is knowing that there was something you could have done... could have said... that might have made a difference. But you'll never get the chance.

Apologies don't matter much when the person's not around to hear them.

I highly recommend this book to everyone. But with caution. I know there are things in here that are triggers for some people. So just be careful when you read it if you choose to.



(fanmade trailer)

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...