Wednesday, January 11, 2012

Homeschool Reading Corner: Diary of a Wimpy Kid - The Ugly Truth by Jeff Kinney

I think I spoke too soon when I got excited about my oldest reading. She got Diary of a Wimpy Kid - The Ugly Truth for Christmas. We went to Missouri and this came along for her to read. To her credit, she is about 70 pages in to it. But she wasn't as excited about this one as the last one.

One day on my vacation, sitting in the living room of my aunt and uncle's house in Missouri while simultaneously watching Wild Hogs, I read this one.

To be honest, I didn't like it. Maybe it's the old fogey in me coming out, I don't know. But I thought Gregory was ungrateful, rude, and a horrible friend. He complains that he no longer has his best friend Rowley, and goes on to list all the reasons Rowley and he are just not compatible anymore. Apparently poor Rowley just doesn't benefit Gregory anymore. He's not of as much use to him.

I don't want my kids to think that things like that are ok. I don't want them to be friends with people simply because of the benefits of being aquainted with them. I want them to be friends with people because they want to. And I tell you, if my kids acted the way Gregory did in this book they would have been in a whole lot of trouble.

Maybe it's just because I don't put up with things like that. I know it's a middle grade book written about a middle schooler, so I can't exactly get too upset about it. But reading it made me worried about my oldest picking up negative things from the book. Namely behavior and attitude.

Honestly, I wouldn't be worried if she didn't finish this one.

I just wish I could find some other way for her to want to read. I am back to being stumped.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...