Thursday, December 1, 2011

Review - The Elvenbane by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey

My dad bought me The Elvenbane (and Elvenblood and Elvenborn ) by Andre Norton and Mercedes Lackey so that I would have something to read on my plane ride up to Maine in 2008 for a job interview. Used from Amazon they only cost about $6 a piece so it was a wicked good deal. And I was excited to read them.

I know I say this about a lot of books and on a pretty regular basis, but I loved it!

Shana is a halfbreed. Elf father. Human mother. Something that was seriously frowned upon as humans were looked at by the elves as no better than animals. They were kept as slaves and concubines. Shana's mother, Serina, is exiled and dies giving birth. But not before coming across a pregnant dragon who's sunning herself disguised as a boulder.

If the beginning of the story wasn't enough to draw you in the rest of it sure is. Shana is raised alongside dragons, believing she is one stuck in human form. She doesn't know she's the subject of a great prophecy that terrifies the all-powerful Elvenlords. This book follows her on her journey to discover exactly who and what she is. Along the way she's helped by races of people and creatures that either no one knew existed, or that had been thought to be eradicated.

It was exciting and fun to read, and full of intrigue and wonder. I couldn't put it down. I mean, how often are elves more or less BAD guys and dragons are shapeshifters, ya know? I read through the other two as quickly as I could and then searched and searched for book number four only to find out that it had never been compelted, as, sadly, Andre Norton had passed away. I still hold out hope that eventually, it will be finished and published and then it can sit on my bookshelf after it's read. Right where it belongs.

This one is definitely recommended for anyone who loves fantasy. This is fantasy at its finest.

1 comment:

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...