Daring You to Read is hosted by Tynga over at Tynga's Reviews.
This week, even though the story is not exactly new, or even new-ish, I'm daring you to read The Magician's Nephew by C.S. Lewis. Despite the fact that it was written AFTER The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, it is our introduction to Aslan and Narnia. And it's wonderful.
I read the book and listened to it at the same time. And I have to say I think that's part of what made me love it so much. Being able to hear it, hear the characters, as I read. It was - this may sound a bit corny but oh well - magical.
The Magician's Nephew has us meeting Diggory and Polly. Neighbors turned friends when Polly finds Diggory crying in his backyard about his chronically ill mother. Diggory and Polly have many adventures in the rafters of their townhouses but one day run in to Diggory's crazy Uncle Andrew in his "study" without meaning to. Uncle Andrew is dispicable and a coward and sends Polly off into an unfamiliar world and then forces Diggory to go and get her himself.
We also meet Jadis in this story, at the end of her world, Charn. And later on, Aslan, at the beginning of Narnia. The creation of Narnia is wonderful and I think that part was my favorite to listen to.
If you have a chance, I highly suggest checking out Focus On the Family's full cast audio version of this story. You can borrow it from the library or listen to it on youtube!!
Here's the introduction to the story and the first few minutes of the audio book. Douglas Greshem, C.S. Lewis's stepson is who provides the introduction for us.
How to participate in DYTR
- You choose a book you’ve read, loved and would dare your readers to read!
- The book you choose must be an older release (at least 6 months ago), because let’s be honest, we’re all quite aware of the latest releases.
- Write your own blog post, using the button and linking back to Tynga’s Reviews, inviting your readers to read your chosen book.
- Come back on Tynga’s Reviews and put your link in the linking tool.
- Browse other bloggers Dare and let them know if you’ve read their featured book, or plan on reading it.
- Super easy and an awesome way to discover that special book who might have slipped off your radar!
And before you go, check out the giveaways I have on the blog this week! Author A.M. Hudson stopped by for an interview and giveaway of two SIGNED copies of her novel Tears of the Broken. And Bluebell Publishing is kindly offering up a copy of Experience (a wonderful sequel to Pride and Prejudice) by Meg Kerr. All you have to do to enter is leave a comment with your email address on either entry or stop by my Facebook page and comment there!
So there you have it, what are you daring everyone to read?