Saturday, December 10, 2011

Review - Elixir by Hilary Duff

Elixir by Hilary Duff. Yes, you read it right. THE Hilary Duff. When I first saw this book on shelves ages ago, I wasn't sure how many Hilary Duff's there were, but I was sure it couldn't be Lizzie McGuire. I just hadn't known she'd written a book. And I certainly hadn't expected that she'd written the type of book that I absolutely LOVE to read.

Clea Raymond has felt the glare of the spotlight her entire life. The daughter of a renowned surgeon and a prominent Washington DC politician, she has grown to be a talented photojournalist who takes refuge in a career that allows her to travel to the most exotic parts of the world. But after Clea’s father disappears while on a humanitarian mission, Clea’s photos begin to feature eerie, shadowy images of a strange and beautiful man—a man she has never seen before.

When fate brings Clea and this man together, she is stunned by the immediate and powerful connection she feels with him. As they grow closer, they are drawn deep into the mystery behind her father’s disappearance, and they discover the centuries old truth behind their intense bond. Torn by a dangerous love triangle and haunted by a powerful secret that holds their fates, together they race against time to unravel their pasts in order to save their lives—and their futures

So Clea's a photographer. When I saw that I figured this book had to be right up my alley. Clea and her best friend Rayna, who's mother is the "nanny for her mother's horses", start out the story in France and immediately we're thrown into the "action" when a fire starts in the building Rayna is visiting someone in. Within 25 pages of the start of the novel our first crisis is averted.

And what's funny is that when I read the book I pictured Clea as Hilary. So it was easy for me to read the dialogue in her voice and picture the things written actually being said. The words didn't seem awkward or forced at all. Just like natural conversation which is something I always look for. When conversations seem to "sing-songy" (ie Dawson's Creek - I HearT Pacey though) it irritates me. Because it sounds scripted. Not normal.

We meet another of Clea's friends pretty quickly into the story. Ben. He was originally hired as a sort of... bodyguard... for her. But we find out it wasn't for his ability to throw grown men the length of a football field. More for his ability to pretty much go to any country you can name and have a conversation with people, no matter the language, along with his knowledge in history and mythology. Ben is a good character. He and Rayna seem to balance Clea well.

As the description says, Clean starts to see shadows of a man in her photographs that couldn't possibly have been in the locations she'd actually been shooting at. And she can't seem to let go of her father and the questions surrounding his death. So she sets off in search of answers.

This was actually a really exciting book to read. Like I said, the dialogue flowed really well. It was an entirely new concept to me. And I like how it was written from the perspective of someone who was extremely well off, but down to earth. I always hear people say "write what you know" and Hilary definitely knows glitz and glamour. Clea was perfect for her debut.

And I have to add that the cover was simple, but gorgeous, and tied nicely into a running theme of the story.

When I got to the end of the book I was really disappointed to find out that NOTHING had been resolved and searched frantically on Goodreads to find out what the heck was going on. Come to find out it was the first of at least 2 in the series. Devoted is book number two and was published back in October, but I have yet to find it so I can read it!!



I don't want to give too much away but I'm going to say that I recommend this to anyone who likes stories like Unearthly, Fallen, and Hush, Hush. It's a great read for everyone, but if you like the books I just mentioned, I know you'll like this one too! So check it out. :-)

And while we're on the subject of "checking things out" please please PLEASE go visit my giveaways guys! Who doesn't love the chance at a free book? Giveaways are for a copy of Experience by Meg Kerr and TWO SIGNED copies of Tears of the Broken by A.M. Hudson. Both are really great authors and wonderful people. I've had the pleasure of talking to both of them and they're super sweet. You'll love their books! I did!

PS - I found the cover for Devoted. Not sure I'm liking it as much because it doesn't seem to go well with book one but here it is anyway!

1 comment:

  1. I had no idea Hilary Duff was an author. I just may have to check out her books.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...