Thursday, February 9, 2012

Daring You to Read - Snow by Tracy Lynn




Daring You to Read is hosted every week by Tynga over at Tynga's Reviews.

Here's how it works:

- You choose a book you’ve read, loved and would dare your readers to read!
- The book you choose must be an older release (at least 6 months ago), because let’s be honest, we’re all quite aware of the latest releases.
- Write your own blog post, using the button and linking back to Tynga’s Reviews, inviting your readers to read your chosen book.
- Come back on Tynga’s Reviews and put your link in the linking tool.
- Browse other bloggers Dare and let them know if you’ve read their featured book, or plan on reading it.
- Super easy and an awesome way to discover that special book who might have slipped off your radar!

This week I'm daring you to read Snow by Tracy Lynn. Now, the link will take you to the newer publication of the novel. But the picture is from the 2003 edition. The one that I read. Which is why I can justify what I'm about to tell you.

I did not know that this was a re-telling of Snow White until I got to the very end of the book. Consider me dense. NOW of course, the cover SAYS that it's a re-telling. So... I'm not just completely stupid. ::cough::

The Duchess Jessica's childhood began with a tragedy: her mother's death. Her father, heartbroken at the loss of his beloved wife, could not bear to raise the child. Largely ignored, Jessica spent the first eleven years of her life running free on the family estate, cared for only by the servants.
Then her father decides to remarry, bringing an end to Jessica's independence. At first her new stepmother just seems overly strict. But as Jessica grows into a beautiful young woman, it becomes clear that her stepmother is also wildly -- and murderously -- jealous of her.
Jessica escapes to London. Going by the name Snow to hide from her family, she falls in love with an odd band of outcasts who accept her into their makeshift family. But when her stepmother appears in the city, repentant and seeking her forgiveness, Jessica will have to decide whom to trust...with her life.

Ok, so maybe the name should have tipped me off. But it didn't. Maybe I am slow. Either way, it was definitely a good book. Different enough (obviously) so that it didn't seem to follow the original story to the letter. It was an attempt at Steampunk, with the story being set in the Victorian Era. Back when I read it, I had no idea what Steampunk was. So I'm not sure how well it accomplished that particular facet of the story, but that's ok.

Jessica finds herself alone and lonely... but not for long. She's taken in by a strange group of "people" who call themselves The Lonely Ones. Her "wicked step-mother" Anne, turns out to be some psychotic mad scientist who's experimenting on people. And "Prince Charming" is one of her experiments.

Seriously, I loved the book. I think if you give it a chance, you will too! Go find it at your library!

I dare you!

4 comments:

  1. That sounds great! And with fairy-tale retelling being so popular lately it's bound to have a second life!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had not realized that their was a steampunk version of Snow White. I will have to look this one up--it looks like a lot of fun!

    Shanan
    http://thebookaddictnet.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'm not sure she even intended this to be steampunk. i read it when I was 8, so about 10 years ago. And as far as I'm aware the steampunk subculture wasn't nearly as predominant in western society as it is now...

    ReplyDelete
  4. I read this book my freshman year, definitely recommend it, you'll love it. I'm 19 and I love this book.

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...