Friday, February 4, 2011

The Cowboy

Well, I'm in bed right now, sick as a dog (hmmm wonder where that saying came from... 'scuse me while I google it... "Sick as a dog is actually the oldest of them, recorded from 1705; it is probably no more than an attempt to give force to a strongly worded statement of physical unhappiness. It was attached to a dog, I would guess, because dogs often seem to have been linked to things considered unpleasant or undesirable; down the years they have had an incredibly bad press, linguistically speaking (think of dog tired, dog in the manger, dog’s breakfast, go to the dogs, dog Latin — big dictionaries have long entries about all the ways that dog has been used in a negative sense)". found this on yahoo's answer site... saying still makes no sense), drinking water like it's a chocolate cake and I'm hungry for sweets. Was out of books to read.

THE HORROR.

No seriously. I've read all the books I came to VA with, and unfortunately, have left some in Maine that I did not mean to leave behind (ie. Afterlight by Elle Jasper). Cue sad face.

So I was harumphing around trying to figure out what to read next when my mom plopped a book in front of me (almost, she accidentally left it on the porch, so technically I plopped it down in front of myself) called The Cowboy by Joan Johnston.

Not. A. Fantasy/Paranormal/Supernatural/Sci-Fi. Book.

But that's ok. Because honestly? If someone gives me a book I will read it, regardless of what kind it is.

From what I've read on the back, there was some sort of dispute between Trace Blackthorne's family and Callie Creed's family. Sounds like a Romeo and Juliet type of situation. So anyway, Trace has apparently been gone for some time and when he comes back he finds Callie. And Trace is the type of man who takes (not goes after, but, takes) what he wants. Sounds charming. :-X Trace proposes (hmmm... ultimatum?) to Callie. A marriage between the two is going to save Callie's family from the financial black hole they've been sucked in to. I guess Callie starts dwelling on the past and what drove the families apart and then has to make a choice BETWEEN her family and the man she loves (loves...really? he sounds kind of demanding to me).

I know they say don't judge a book by it's cover (does the description on the cover count?) so I'm trying not to dislike Trace before ever reading the story. I'll have to start it tomorrow and report back my findings. Hopefully the INSIDE of the book will read better than the outside.

I like Cowboys.

What is everyone else reading right now?

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...