Friday, February 15, 2013

My Favorite Book Romance

Ok, Valentine's Day is over and all the gooshy mushy stuff is on clearance at the grocery stores.

I thought I'd drag it out just a LITTLE bit longer with my absolute ALL TIME favorite book romance. Hands down. It's not Edward and Bella from Twilight... or even Jacob and Bella (although I do favor Jacob over Edward). No... my favorite book romance of all time is Elizabeth Bennet and Mr. Darcy from Pride & Prejudice by Jane Austen. I love the book. I love the movie. Their relationship is just amazing.

How many of us have started off on the completely wrong foot with someone. And it leaves a sour taste in our mouths and we just can't stand the sight of them. Blech.

Until one day you're looking at them and they're not so detestable anymore. Maybe it was just a simple gesture that started the change. Maybe a smile or a joke that they told. Maybe you dropped something and they helped you pick it up and all of the sudden you might not hate them as much as you used to.

Soon the person you hated is your friend. Or perhaps the one you hated has started to invade your heart and you can't really do anything to stop it. Before you know it the one you couldn't stand to look at is the one you don't think you can live without.

I love Elizabeth Bennet because she is extremely bright, witty, and has a fire in her that I wish I had. Mr. Darcy is the epitome of a gentleman despite his proud nature. He is well spoken and has this huge heart. He doesn't seek to change Elizabeth. He just wants to be with her. He knows she's considered "middle class" to his "upper class" but even in a time when that's supposed to be the deciding factor in many romances, he ignores it and lets his heart fall for her anyway. And while she tries as hard as she possibly can not to let him affect her in any way because she thinks him too proud and arrogant, the wall she's placed around her heart to keep him out starts to crumble.

I cannot fix on the hour, or the spot, or the look or the words, which laid the foundation. It is too long ago. I was in the middle before I knew that I had begun.
In vain have I struggled. It will not do. My feelings will not be repressed. You must allow me to tell you how ardently I admire and love you.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...