Sunday, February 24, 2013

Homeschool Reading Corner - Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes

Johnny Tremain, a young apprentice silversmith, is caught up in the danger and excitement of 1775 Boston, just before the Revolutionary War. But even more gripping than living through the drama of Revolutionary Boston is the important discovery Johnny makes in his own life.
I am not homeschooling my oldest this year like I did last year, so I haven't had much opportunity to check out books that would go well with the schooling she IS doing, but when I found this book among the things brought down from the attic in my garage I thought it was fantastic. Alanna has just started a unit on the Revolutionary War and Johnny Tremain by Esther Forbes was found right on time.

This story has been one that I've known since before I was Alanna's age (she's 10). I even brought the movie in for my junior US History class to watch when I was in high school. The book is just a great way to take a look at that time period in history in a more exciting way. Textbooks give you the information but stories like Johnny Tremain give it life. Puts you right in the middle of all of the action, ya know?

At some point either today or tomorrow I'm planning on watching the movie with my girls too. It was a favorite of mine way back when. Hopefully they'll enjoy it just as much.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...