Thursday, March 28, 2013

Review - The Soulkeepers by G.P. Ching

When fifteen-year-old Jacob Lau is pulled from the crumpled remains of his mother's car, no one can explain why he was driving or why the police can't find his mother's body. A beautiful and mysterious neighbor offers to use her unique abilities to help him find his mom.

But in exchange she requires Jacob to train as a Soulkeeper, a protector of human souls. He agrees to her demands, desperate for any clue to the mystery of his mother's disappearance. But soon Jacob finds himself trapped in a web of half-truths, and questions her motives for helping him.
I have to admit... I got this book because of the cover. And the fact that it was free on Amazon. But mostly because of the cover. I hate to admit it (though I've done it several times), I am a cover snob.

The Soulkeepers by G.P. Ching is the first in a series that I wish I could finish today... but unfortunately I'm on an involuntary book buying ban.

Jacob Lau is 15 and has lost his mother. He doesn't believe she's dead, but no one can find her. Much to his dismay he ends up having to go live with his uncle, leaving behind beautiful Oahu for the cold and unappealing town of Paris, Illinois. He finds that he immediately has enemies but also that he has a kindred spirit in Malini, who is also NOT a native of Paris.

After being pushed too far by his cousin (on top of everyone at school), Jacob snaps and as a result, has to work for the weird neighbor across the street helping her with her garden. He ends up with more than he could have ever bargained for when he finds out from her that he's not who he thought he was and nothing is as it seemed before. All he knows for sure is that if he's going to find his mom, his neighbor, Dr. Silva, is the only one that's going to be able to help him.

Jacob was not your typical arrogant male teenager. I was glad of that, but at the same time I kept forgetting how old he was because of it. He seemed to be aged beyond his 15 years, but then I suppose losing your father and your mother at such a young age would do that to a lot of people. Still, he was not as angry as he could have been. Mad at having to leave his home to live with relatives he never even knew existed and go to a school where everyone hates him except for the only other outsider in the building.

The relationship between Jacob and Malini was perfect in my opinion. A lot of times relationships like that seem rushed or forced or just come out of the blue. But they started as friends and it just kind of happened from there. That's the way it SHOULD be. Malini was kind and supportive. She didn't shy away from Jacob when she found out about his... special talents. The chemistry between the two of them was perfect.

Dr. Silva was an interesting character. Mysterious and intimidating, but seeming to be in search of some kind of redemption she's hoping to find through Jacob. She has many secrets and I feel like we've just scratched the surface, even after finding out all that we have. Gideon, reminded me a tad of crookshanks at first. Not quite JUST a cat. Definitely more to him than meets the eye. I love the twist that came with his line of the story. I thought it was great.

The book built up to the finale wonderfully. It didn't feel like it rushed the entire story and it didn't feel like it was slow...slow...slow... and then BAM. It was a wonderful rollercoaster ride that ended with enough loose ends tied up to feel like that particular part of the story was complete.

It also poses a great question. Are you as bad as your worst mistake?

This was a pretty wonderful read. It was gripping and exciting and I really wish I could grab the next book so I cound find out what happens to everyone. I'd recommend this to everyone. It was fast once I really got in to it, which wasn't hard because it kind of just grabbed me right at the beginning. So go check it out!

1 comment:

  1. Magnificent beat ! I wish to apprentice while you amend
    your website, how can i subscribe for a blog site? The account aided me
    a acceptable deal. I had been tiny bit acquainted of this your broadcast provided bright clear concept

    Feel free to surf to my web site - about options trading

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for taking the time to stop by and read/leave a comment! It is always appreciated!

LinkWithin

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...